Bet David Sisterhood/Kehillah is the outreach arm of Bet David Progressive Synagogue in Morningside, Johannesburg, whose main focus is on assisting communities less fortunate than themselves.
In addition to serving the needs of congregants at Bet David in the form of b’rachot and catering for all life cycle events, our very active community work ensures that hundreds of indigent and impoverished children, child-headed households, abused mothers and children, and destitute elderly men and women are assisted on an on-going basis.
Our outreach programmes include:
- The Leamogetswe Feeding Scheme in Alexandra – where over 200 meals are
provided to children once a day, Monday to Friday
- Zenzeleni Primary School – where uniforms, school shoes, blankets and other winter woolies have been provided
- The Mitzvah School – where school fees are paid for those who cannot afford it; food parcels are provided to many learners; and funds are raised for special projects as and when needed
- Temple Israel (the Mother Progressive Synagogue in Hillbrow, Johannesburg) – where weekly b’rachot are provided for congregants and visitors
- Women of Vision (an organisation dedicated to restoring dignity and respect to children, young women and the elderly made vulnerable by abuse and abandonment within their community in Westbury, South
Africa) – where toiletries and other household items have been donated or purchased
Operating under the umbrella of the United Sisterhood and affiliated to the South African Union of Temple Sisterhoods and the Women of Reform Judaism, the Bet David Sisterhood/Kehillah needs your help.
For more information – or to make a donation – kindly contact the Bet David office on:
011 783 7117/8/9 for details